The name Staunton comes from the Saxon words Stan-Tun meaning Stony Farmstead. Stan
also refers to the many Stones that lie within the Parish. These include:
- The Frog or Toad's Mouth at the west end of the village;
- The Long stone, which is thought to date from before 1700 BC and can be seen as you drive along A4136 from Coleford to Monmouth;
- The Broad Stone, which is the largest of several rocks in the fields of Broadstone farm and;
- The Buckstone, a well known local landmark on the boundary of Staunton Meend common. When Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton visited Monmouth and district, it was painted white in their honour. It used to rock on its base - however in June 1885 a party of five travelling actors from the London Star Company and the landlord at Agincourt Inn in Monmouth, having enjoyed an evening of sampling fine wines managed to dislodge the stone and send it crashing down the slope! It split into several pieces, but was hauled back up the hill at great cost and to prevent further vandalisation was cemented together in place and no longer rocks.